The digital transformation is here.
It influences many areas of our lives. Tax consultancy has long been affected by digitalization. For example, much of the transmission of tax declarations and tax returns to the tax authorities, or the cooperation with clients for their accounting and payroll accounting, is already happening mainly through electronic means.
Every change brings risks and opportunities. My goal is to take advantage of the opportunities of digitalization for my clients and to minimize the risks of unauthorized access by using encryption technology, the secure transfer of data, and a well-secured data center with the data stored in Germany.
Digitalizing certain processes has the potential to make our cooperation more flexible and efficient. This is especially true in the following areas:
Dominant process until now was paper-based financial accounting
Paper-based financial accounting is often a disadvantage for companies, for various reasons.
The original accounting records are not available in the company during the period that the tax consultant works on the accounting. Analyses about the financial accounting are generally available only several weeks after the end of the month, and if there is a tax audit by the German tax authorities, all accounting records have to presented in paper again. Digitally stored records also need to be printed out to ensure that the binder that shifts back and forth between the client and tax consultant is complete. After all the postings, the records are filed at the company. This means that the originals are archived: both the digital copies (which are saved on a storage medium that can be read for many years) and the paper originals in a traditional archive.
Switching to a digital cooperation in the field of financial accounting significantly simplifies and speeds up processes and offers the business lasting benefits. The supporting documents (for example, incoming and outgoing invoices) are digitalized depending on how the mail was received. That means a document might be scanned or photographed with a smartphone or — if a document was already in a digital form when you received it, for example via email or on a portal — it is directly uploaded to DATEV Unternehmen online and therefore forwarded to the tax consultant. The documents are digitally readout and the information is then ready to be used in a payment file for remittances. The accounting happens continuously as the documents are provided, and analyses are available faster. Each posting is linked to the corresponding digitalized document. Under certain conditions, the paper documents can be destroyed and all documents archived digitally. (For more information about this, please read the section about replacing originals with scanned documents).
- Posting of all your bank movements and accounting records
- Managing the electronic cash book
- Handling your payments
- Taking over the dunning process
Advantages of digital financial accounting with DATEV Unternehmen online:
- Avoid wasting resources by having to print digital receipts
- Speed up the process by eliminating the following process steps: “assemble and send pendulum binder” and “take documents from binder and archive them” after the tax consultant has recorded them in the accounting.
- Fast posting of everything that happens in your business, including ability to link digital receipts/documents with the corresponding posting records. This makes many things a lot easier, especially when preparing for tax audits.
- Audit-proof archiving of digital receipts/documents
- Reduce your archiving costs and/or free up space in your companyfor other purposes
- Retrieve data that is needed to make a payment run
Say goodbye to sorting receipts by hand. Find out in this video how you can benefit from the digital exchange of documents with me via DATEV Unternehmen online.
For more information, visit http://www.datev.de/unternehmen-online
Filing and archiving paper receipts and documents in binders in order to fulfill the legal requirements for retention has been the norm for companies and self-employed people. At the same time, due to the desire to be able to store and find records more easily, accounting records are often already in digital form, or they may already have been received in a digital form. That said, the process for moving to secure archiving or for creating an interface with your tax consultant is often not adequately defined. As a result, the digital versions of original receipts and documents continue to be collected in binders. This takes up space that can often be put to better use. Through so-called “replacement scanning”, the scanned receipts and records become the originals themselves, and the paper-based accounting records don’t have to be kept anymore.
The condition for using scanning for the purpose of replacing originals is a personalized process documentation in which the work processes and scan processes are defined, determined and explained — from how a document will be entered into the scanning process to when and how the original paper receipt is to be destroyed. Furthermore, you will need an appropriate archiving software that contains an audit-proof archive for the unchangeable storage of the documents.
When making use of replacement scanning, it is not necessary to keep original accounting records in their paper form in the future. This video explains under which conditions you can destroy original accounting records after they have been scanned.
- Support in creating a personalized process documentation based on a basic template for process documentation by the German Chamber of Tax Consultants (BStBK) and the German Association of Tax Consultants (DStV)
- Supplying you with an archiving software
Advantages of replacing original records with scanned documents:
- The accounting records can be accessed anytime and from anywhere
- Ability to find a document fast due to the simple search function
- Original records do not need to be retained in their paper form
- No need to use up space for archiving
- A secure and recognized archiving system for the purpose of tax audits
Payroll processing is typically a very sensitive activity for a company and should therefore only be handled by experts with the necessary expertise and knowledge. We offer our clients the possibility to significantly simplify the cooperation regarding all the prior and subsequent activities in connection with a payroll run using digital processes.
As part of our digital cooperation, manually capturing wage and salary data into various lists would be replaced by digital data collection. In order to inform us about changes — for example in the master data or in the salaries of individual employees — we provide entry tools that would allow automatically apply the changes directly into our salary calculation program. You can make all changes and other entries from anywhere, with any end device. Other documents, such as work contracts or proof of enrollment, can be filed in the digital personnel file. The monthly wage and salary analyses are also stored there and are available at any time.
Find out how you can digitally exchange payroll data and documents with your tax consultant using DATEV Unternehmen online and how this type of cooperation can benefit you.
- Preparation of the monthly payroll and salary processing
- Managing a digital personnel file, which can be accessed by both the client and the tax advisor
- Calculation, reporting and proof of income tax and social security charges
- Preparing monthly analyses about wages and salaries
Advantages of digital payroll processing:
- As part of a digital personnel file, all data and documents are available at any time
- The consistent method of transmitting all data and documents simplifies the processes connected with the payroll processing in the company